Apple's new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are making their way into consumers' hands, and prime important task after getting the most current iPhone model handy is to transfer all the data you think as necessary on your old iPhone model, say, iPhone 5, to your iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus. And we would like to walk you through the process of backing up and restoring data using iCloud and iTunes as well as third party IOS data extraction and transferring software, iFonebox.
Nothing can kill the joy of a new iPhone faster than realizing your contacts, photos, or voice memos, calendars, and messages have disappeared into the ether because you forgot to take a backup of your old one. Most iPhone users would probably enables automatic backing up via iCloud or iTunes. So let’s how to back up your old iPhone 5 and then transfer the data to your new iPhone 6 through iTunes or iCloud.
Back up with iTunes
Restoring from iTunes is just as easy as you can expect. One thing you need to make sure you're on the most current version of iTunes.
1. Open iTunes and connect your device to your computer.
2. Save content that you downloaded from the iTunes Store or App Store by clicking File > Devices > Transfer Purchases.
3. Click File > Devices > Back up.
4. Wait till the process ends, you can see if your backup finished successfully by clicking iTunes Preferences > Devices. You should see the name of your device with the date and time that iTunes created the backup.
Restore from the iTunes Backup
1. Connect your device to the computer that you stored your backup on.
2. Open iTunes. If iTunes tells you there's an iOS update, get the latest version.
3. Choose your backup by going to File > Devices > Restore from Backup. Look at the date and size of each one and pick the most relevant.
4. Click “Restore” and wait for the process to finish. Your device will restart and then sync with your computer. Stay connected until the sync finishes.
Backup with iCloud
1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
2. In iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup.
3. Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes.
Make sure the backup finished by tapping Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.
Restore from iCloud
The only way to restore from an iCloud backup is through the Setup Assistant. To get to the Setup Assistant on a device you already set up, you'll need to erase all the content on your device and set up your device as new.
Depending on the size of your backup as well as the internet connection speed, restoring from iCloud backup could take a significant amount of time to download, so make sure you begin your restore when you can plug your phone in to an external power source.
Backup and Restore With iFonebox
iFonebox is professional IOS data recovery software, supporting recovering and extracting as well as transferring Contacts, Notes, Messages, Calendars, Reminders, Voice Memos, Photos, Safari Bookmarks, and Message attachments, Call History etc to computer (PC or Mac) for backup. And now you can transfer Contacts and Notes back to your iPhone 6 directly.
Step 1: Run the full version of iFonebox and choose “Recover from IOS Devices”, make sure you have got your old iPhone 5 connected to your Mac for example.
Step2: Choose whatever data you would like to extract from the iPhone 5 or you can tap “Recover All” to extract all the supported data and prepare the transferring for backup.
Step3: Preview the data, for example, the Contacts and recover to Mac.
This third party software backup is suitable for people who prefer a new and clean iPhone 6 and want to have physical backup for important things like Notes, Messages, Photos and Voice Memos etc.